top of page

What to do if: Your Ex-spouse Doesn't Pay Child Support

Divorce is a difficult process, and it can be made even more challenging when children are involved. In many cases, one parent is ordered to pay child support to assist with raising the children. Unfortunately, there are situations where an ex-spouse fails to make these payments, leading to financial stress and strain on the other parent. If you find yourself in this situation, here are some steps you can take to handle it.

1.    Keep Records: The first and most empowering step you should take is to keep detailed records of all the payments made and any missed payments. This can include bank statements, receipts, and any communication you have had with your ex-spouse regarding payments. These records will serve as evidence and give you a sense of control over the situation.

2.    Communicate: Try to have an open and honest conversation with your ex-spouse about their missed payments. They may have a valid reason for falling behind, which can sometimes be resolved without involving the courts.

3.    Seek Legal Help: If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek legal help. An experienced family law attorney can review your case and help you determine your options, such as filing for a motion to enforce the child support order. This step can bring hope and a sense of resolution to your situation.

4.    Contact Child Support Services: It is also worth contacting your state's Child Support Services agency. They have the power to enforce child support orders, and they can work with your ex-spouse to establish a payment plan or take legal action.

5.    Seek Financial Assistance: Financial assistance may sometimes be necessary. Resources such as government programs and non-profit organizations can aid with food, housing, and other essential needs.

Not receiving child support can be a stressful and challenging situation, but there are steps you can take to handle it. It's essential to stay organized, communicate with your ex-spouse, seek legal help when needed, and explore any available resources for financial assistance.

Remember to prioritize the well-being of your children and seek support from loved ones during this time.

Wishing you the best,


Time to Dish:

  • What resources have you found helpful?

  • What have you done if your ex doesn't pay support?

  • Have you reached out to your divorce attorney for guidance?

  • What would you share with others?


Subscribe to our blog! Be the first to hear the new Dish!

You are now part of the Divorcee Dish Family!

bottom of page